Home Harvard Law School Harvard Law School
Roman law was heavily influenced by Greek philosophy, but its detailed rules were developed by professional jurists and were highly sophisticated. In medieval England, royal courts developed a body of precedent which later became the common law. A Europe-wide Law Merchant was formed so that merchants could trade with common standards of practice rather than with the many splintered facets of local laws. The Law Merchant, a precursor to modern commercial law, emphasised the freedom to contract and alienability of property.
- Strategic lawyering by a team of Harvard Law students led Veterans Affairs to change its long-standing benefits policy that largely excluded surviving partners of LGBTQ+ veterans.
- The current legal infrastructure in the People’s Republic of China was heavily influenced by Soviet Socialist law, which essentially inflates administrative law at the expense of private law rights.
- I call the relevant facts “law-determining practices” rather than “legal decisions” because the term “decisions” tends to suggest judicial decisions in particular.
- For instance, the Quran has some law, and it acts as a source of further law through interpretation, Qiyas , Ijma and precedent.
- The constitutions of certain Muslim states, such as Egypt and Afghanistan, recognise